Packed with polyphenols, purple aronia has the highest antioxidant ORAC score of any natural food we've seen. Aronia berris, also known as chokeberries, have anthocyanins and flavonoids higher than blueberries, cranberries, pomegranates and even acai. The secret to Aronia's power lies in its deep coloring. The intense color is the result of a potent concentration of antioxidant rich phytochemicals. This high level doesn't just fight disease; it combats the entire aging process, making Aronia one of the most dynamically effective foods you can eat.
Some potential benefits of Aronia include:
* Helps fight heart disease and other cardiovascular ailments
* Promotes good cholesterol levels
* Helps control blood pressure
* Maintains healthy blood sugar levels
* Boosts the immune system - helps fight colds and the flu
* Nourishes the brain and nervous system
* Aids proper digestion
* Possesses anti-inflammatory properties
* Promotes a healthy urinary tract
* High antioxidant properties help fight aging and cancer
Researchers from Ohio State University found that anthocyanins obtained from exotic plant pigments not only slowed, but also killed the growth of colon cancer cells. Aronia specifically killed up to a fifth of pre-existing cancer cells.
Though not well known in the USA, aronia berries have long been eaten in Eastern Europe and Russia for their antioxidant benefits where they even make them into wine. Our purple aronia powder tastes like a tart mix of blackberry and blueberry and has an amazing ORAC score of 4738 per gram.